Vegan Pad Thai
½ pkg or of rice stick noodles
2 tbsp preserved radish, chopped –called chai poh, these are sweet, salty , spicy and Dark brown in colour (Can be purchased from grocers with chinese, malaysian, taiwanese and thai products)
2 cups of julienned veggies (of your choice, I used carrots and celery cause that’s what was in my fridge)
1 block smoked tofu, julienned
3-4 big handfuls of bean sprouts
4 small shallots, diced
2 tbsp Coconut oil
4 tbsp tamarind paste
¼ cup soy sauce
3 heaping tsp palm sugar
1 tsp rice vinegar
Zest of 1 lime and ½ lime juice
Handful of Thai basil or cilantro (or both), chopped or chiffonade
3 tbsp-ish chopped toasted peanuts
2 tsp fried shallots (optional)
- Arrange rice stick noodles into a baking dish or something else flat with sides so the noodles can soak evenly. Boil a kettle of hot water and pour over rice stick noodles so they are covered evenly with water. Cover them and leave for 5 minutes or so. Drain and set aside.
- In the meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the sauce
- add a tbsp of coconut oil into a heated frying pan on high heat and fry julienned tofu, turning occasionally until browned. Once brown add the veggies and turn constantly for a few minutes until cooked but still crunchy. Remove from pan
- Add another tbsp of coconut oil to heated pan and then add shallots. Fry until brown, then add the noodles and the sauce. Cook for a minute or so and then add in the tofu/ veggies and the beansprouts.
- You don’t want to overcook the noodles otherwise they will get mushy so keep them moving around gently so they don’t break while sauce is being absorbed.This will only take a minute or two
- Portion and garnish. Enjoy!
Vegan Pad Thai
Check out our Spice Store for more recipes and ingredients to spice up your cooking style.